October 11, 2012

I was at the shelter last night, before 4:00 p.m..  The Memo from the shelter had said that the mental health worker from the police station would be there between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m..  There was a staffperson there; also, the social worker for the shelter showed up for the meeting.

The mental health worker from the police station never showed up.

I called the police station; the officer that I spoke to didn’t know anything about the meeting and had no information to give me about why the worker hadn’t shown up.   

The meeting happened, regardless of the fact that the mental health worker from the police station hadn’t shown up.  Everything that I thought was going to happen in the meeting happened, exactly the way that I thought it would.  I fended off the “You’re crazy and you are the problem” approach the best I could, with some success, I think. 

The social worker met with other people who work for the shelter today and they decided that I could stay. 

My ability to stay at the shelter was in fact jeopardized.  The social worker brought up the incidents on the bus and at the library.  She also said that the shelter had gotten phone calls about me from people who had been on the bus, and from the MBTA, and that the shelter had gotten more of them over the past couple of days.  I don’t know if it was true that someone from the MBTA called her or not; I don’t know why that would happen.

I don’t want to believe that people are as bad and mean as they’d have to be to make phone calls like that.  I have to think that what has happened is that the conglomerate has been able to make some people believe that I deserve what the conglomerate is doing to me. 

The social worker asked me to call her at noon today to find out what the decision was about whether or not I could stay at the shelter.  When I talked to her, she said that one of the things that I’d have to do if I were going to stay at the shelter was to meet with the mental health counselor from the Waltham police department, if the police department says it wants me to do that. 

It’s better not to avoid people in situations like that.  I called the police station and asked to speak to the mental health counselor.  I was told “She’s out sick.  She called in a few minutes ago.”


Copyright L. Kochman, October 11, 2012 @ 4:29 p.m.